|Location||Washington, DC, DC|
|Date Posted||June 9, 2017|
REPORTS TO: Executive Director
LOCATION: Washington, DC
About the Position:
The Syria Justice & Accountability Centre (SJAC) is seeking a professional with USG grant and budget experience to act as Operations Officer, responsible for coordinating and overseeing SJAC’s financial, compliance, human resources, and operational processes. Founded in 2012, SJAC promotes justice and accountability in Syria by ensuring that human rights violations are comprehensively documented, and that documentation data is securely preserved, catalogued, and analyzed to advance transitional justice and peace-building. The Operations Officer enables SJAC to achieve its mission by managing its internal systems to run efficiently and effectively.
SJAC recently transitioned from being part of a larger parent organization in April 2017. The Operations Officer will oversee SJAC operations as an independent organization in compliance with organizational policies, donor regulations (such as 2 CFR 200), and local laws. The Officer will work across the SJAC team, with donors, and the SJAC Board of Directors. SJAC is seeking an early to mid-career professional eager to take on a role in a transitioning organization; as such, the Officer is not expected to be equally experienced in each aspect of the position’s responsibilities, and will receive training and support from SJAC’s parent organization and external consultants as necessary.
General Duties and Responsibilities:
SJAC Grants and Compliance (Approximately 40%)
The Operations Officer will be responsible for ensuring that SJAC’s systems facilitate compliance with best business practices, donors’ rules and regulations, and local laws. The Operations Officer will monitor the organization’s compliance with internal policies and procedures.
- Work with program staff in conducting procurements and preparing consulting agreements, purchase orders, contract modifications, and subgrants in compliance with SJAC’s policies, 2CFR200, and vetting standards;
- Train and mentor program staff in compliance considerations, conducting procurement, drafting agreements, and monitoring work performed;
- Review all new awards to SJAC and negotiate on SJAC’s behalf, including engaging an external compliance consultant as appropriate.
SJAC Finances (Approximately 50%)
The Operations Officer will be responsible for overseeing all of SJAC’s accounting and financial systems. They will manage a part-time accountant to fulfill SJAC’s accounts receivable, accounts payable, and recordkeeping needs. The Operations Officer will lead SJAC’s financial reporting and forecasting, and coordinate with an experienced CFO consultant as needed.
- Oversee SJAC’s Quickbooks accounting, including the appropriate coding and backup of expenses;
- Work with the accountant to conduct cash forecasting and drawdown of funds;
- Monitor allocation of shared costs to ensure that allocations are in compliance with accounting policies, donor requirements, and align with SJAC’s long-term financial wellbeing;
- Analyze SJAC spending on a monthly, quarterly, and annual basis and work with the SJAC Executive Director to update and make decisions regarding SJAC’s operating budget;
- With the accountant, produce financial reporting for SJAC grants and Board of Directors. Liaise with donors and the Board of Directors regarding financial questions as needed;
- With input from program staff, prepare proposal budgets for submission and budget amendments for current agreements;
- Support SJAC program staff in understanding their activity budgets and spending;
- Lead and coordinate support for the audit process at the end of each fiscal year.
SJAC Human Resources (Approximately 10%)
The Operations Officer will oversee SJAC’s human resources functions and serve as staff’s primary point of contact for all human resources matters.
- Facilitate and document recruitment, new hires, separations, and other changes in employment status;
- Manage payroll processing with SJAC’s external payroll provider and oversee timekeeping system;
- Oversee annual performance review process;
- Respond to employee questions about HR concerns.
Skills and Qualifications:
- A minimum of four years supporting operational aspects of an organization, with varied experience in finance, grants and contracts, compliance, and human resources. (Note: These four years do not need to be in a strictly operational role);
- Working knowledge of USG regulations and compliance issues. Preferred experience with U.S. Department of State and European bilateral donors;
- Demonstrated ability to manage budgets and experience in forecasting;
- Expertise in MS Excel required. Experience with Quickbooks desirable;
- Demonstrated organizational skills with a high attention to detail;
- Excited to join a growing organization and apply a constant-eye to improving processes and procedures;
- Committed to anticipating and overcoming obstacles in order to support the independence and sustainable future of SJAC;
- Not intimidated by new experiences. Independently driven to research and seek outside expertise in order to accomplish job needs.
Please send an email with the subject “SJAC Operations Officer” to firstname.lastname@example.org, providing a cover letter and resume as attachments. Cover letters should include your salary range requirements and availability. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis until the position is filled.
NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE AA/EOE/M/F/Vet/Disabled